West Ham United have been dealt a blow in their pursuit of AC Milan striker Carlos Bacca after the striker admitted his focus was on Milan’s tour of the United States.
Quoted in the Express, Bacca revealed that he will travel with the rest of the squad to participate in the International Champions Cup.
It comes as a blow to Slaven Bilic who has been desperate to add another striker to bolster his attacking options ahead of the 2016-17 season.
The Hammers will be hoping Bacca has decided to travel in a bid to boost his fitness levels before deciding on his future.
We have agreed a fee with AC Milan on Bacca and he has said, he will tell us in the next 48 hours if he is coming!!
— Jack Sullivan (@jsullivanwhu) July 20, 2016
The son of co-chairman David Sullivan tweeted on Thursday that the Colombian forward would inform the East London club whether or not he will agree to the move within the next 48 hours.
With news set to filter through about Bacca’s future in the coming 24 hours, the 29-year-old was not giving anything away after speaking to reporters at an airport in Milan.
“I’m leaving for the US tour with the team tomorrow,” Bacca said.
“West Ham? I’m thinking about Milan and making myself available for the coaching staff.
“I don’t feel any pressure. I have a four-year contract with Milan and I’m happy here.”
The Colombian did however, acknowledge that there was uncertainty over his future at the San Siro, after entertaining the prospect of European football.
“Playing in Europe? There will come a time to play, first I have to talk to the club and then we’ll see what happens.”
West Ham are keen to secure the signature of Bacca and have offered £30m to the Rossoneri for his services, however, Sullivan has conceded that the club are finding it difficult to lure players to the club.
In an open letter to the fans, the co-chairman admitted that the Hammers were trying to bring players who want Champions League football to the club, something that cannot be offered at the Olympic Stadium for the coming season.
“Ideally, we would have had someone in place by now but sadly that has not proved to be the case and the forwards we have targeted want to play Champions League football.
“Whatever deal we offer to that player, if he wants Champions League football he will not come to us.”
Bilic’s side have previously been linked with moves for Lyon’s Alexandre Lacazette, new Chelsea signing Michy Batshuayi and Liverpool misfit Christian Benteke.