Giuseppe Rossi and Mario Gomez could stay put – Fiorentina chief

Giuseppe Rossi spent last season on loan at Levante in La Liga.

Giuseppe Rossi and Mario Gomez could both spearhead the Fiorentina attack next season, according to the club’s executive president Mario Cognigni.

Both forwards have been on the transfer market since spending last season out on loan, but Cognigni has not ruled out keeping hold of them this summer with Rossi impressing in preseason and Gomez showing he is back to his best for Besiktas and Germany.

“We know what Pepito [Rossi] has been through and I also know that a player like him wants to be playing regularly, but speaking to [sporting director Pantaleo] Corvino, he has told me that he’s staying with us this season, and that is what the club want,” Cognigni said in La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“As for Gomez, he is part of our squad too and we’re certainly not going to give him away. We’ll see how we can deal with his lucrative contract, but if he stays then he has got to be focused on playing for Fiorentina. Who knows if he likes that idea.”

Gomez was the Turkish league’s top goalscorer last season with 26 goals in 33 appearances, but he found the back of the net only 14 times in the previous two seasons for Fiorentina.

His contract with the Viola has a year left to run on it and he confirmed earlier this week that he will certainly not be going back to play in Turkey this season, although he does not seem intent on playing in Serie A either.

The 31-year-old is attracting attention from the Bundesliga while on Thursday, AS claimed he could be a target for Barcelona.

Ben Gladwell reports on Serie A, the Italian national team and the Bundesliga for ESPN FC, UEFA and the Press Association. @UEFAcomBenG.

The original version of this story which was published by ESPN can be viewed here.

Serie A Video News


You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *