​Liverpool target Piotr Zielinski has been tipped to join AC Milan this summer after the Reds apparently pulled out of the race in what is just the latest twist in this long-running transfer saga.

Zielinski had long been thought to favour a move to Anfield where he could work with Jurgen Klopp. However, according to Goal.com, negotiations with Udinese proved incredibly troublesome and Liverpool have been forced to give up after being unable to strike a deal.

Empoli FC v Bologna FC - Serie A

It is said that Liverpool matched Napoli’s £11m accepted offer for the 22-year-old Polish international midfielder and even included a sell-on clause that would have entitled Udinese to more money further down the line.

The suggestion is that Zielinski continued to reject the chance of going to Napoli, but that Udinese also continued to refuse to do business with Liverpool. In the end, Milan appeared on the scene as the alternative and that now looks to be the route that the player will take.

Empoli FC v Bologna FC - Serie A

Earlier this week, the player’s agent revealed to Gazzetta dello Sport that his client had made a decision on his future while Udinese continue to consider the offers on the table.

“We are trying to find the best solution both for the club and the player,” Bartolomej Bolek told the Italian sports daily.

“We’ll see what happens next week. We know that many offers reached Udinese for Zielinski. We’re talking to Pozzo (owner) and the interested clubs. After the Euros he went on vacation, as he needed to rest after a long season. He will return to Udine on July 22 or 23.

“It’s true [that Liverpool have been tracking the player for a long time] but I don’t like to talk about negotiations in the papers. We’ve decided, but it’s a secret.”

​​