Montella denies betraying Sampdoria by joining AC Milan

The new Rossoneri boss insists the chance to take over the San Siro reins was too good to turn down and says he was never in the frame to replace Antonio Conte as Italy boss

Vincenzo Montella insists that he did not betray Sampdoria by taking over as AC Milan head coach.

Montella spent just one season at the Sampdoria helm before opting to become the latest man to try and restore Milan’s past glories.

The former Italy international says that the opportunity at the San Siro was too good to pass up, but is adamant he retains strong ties to Sampdoria.

“I worked for Sampdoria until the last day and I still have a great relationship with them,” he said at his first news conference as Milan coach.

MORE: Milan rejects Napoli’s De Sciglio’s bid

“I had written permission from the club to talk to Milan. I apologize to the fans if they think that I am a traitor. I always gave my all for Sampdoria, I have a special relationship [with the club].”

Montella had been tipped to replace Antonio Conte as Italy boss prior to joining Milan, but instead Giampiero Ventura was chosen as the next man to lead the Azzurri.

But ex-Fiorentina boss Montella says the links were nothing more than paper talk.

“I came back from holiday on June 20 and heard of Milan’s interest,” he added. “The national team [speculation] was just rumors.”

The original version of this story which was published by goal.com Serie A can be viewed here.

Serie A Video News

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *