Roma’s Belgian midfielder Radja Nainggolan has confirmed his intention to stay at the club, despite being consistently linked with a move to Chelsea this summer.
Gazzetta World report that the 28-year-old told reporters of his decision to stay at the Italian club, who finished third in Serie A last year.
“Everything is calm with Sabatini,” Nainggolan said upon his return club’s training ground on Wednesday. “Will I stay at Roma? Yes, I’m going to remain here.”
His comments end a transfer saga that was threatening to drag into the new season. Chelsea’s new manager Antonio Conte will take charge at the club imminently after his side’s creditable exit in Euro 2016.
He was looking to add Nainggolan to his squad as he aims to put the club on track after a disastrous season saw them finish 10th last term.
The Roma player impressed for his country at the French tournament, and scored a memorable goal against Wales, though they were still eliminated at the quarter-final stage after a 3-1 defeat.
He has also been a standout performer for his club in recent years, with his range of passing and ability to control the tempo of a match a precious commodity in today’s game.
Roma also sold another key midfielder, Miralem Pjanic, to league champions Juventus this summer, so would have been seriously depleted had they let their Belgian playmaker leave.
Chelsea will have to look elsewhere to add more steel to their midfield ranks, though they have been heavily linked with Leicester City’s N’Golo Kante. The French midfielder had a brilliant season at the club and has a buyout clause of £20m.