Chelsea are said to still be chasing the signing of Alvaro Morata this summer, despite his asking price rocketing after Real Madrid activated the buy-back clause in his contract earlier this month.
Juventus were thought to be ready to sell up for a fee in the region of £45m before Real activated their £23m clause, whereas the Champions League holders are said to be demanding an astronomical £58m for the Spain international.
The Mirror report that the prospect of paying over the odds for the 23-year-old may not put the Blues off too much, as Antonio Conte looks to build a squad to bounce back from the disappointments of last season.
However, there’s no guarantee that Morata would even necessarily be keen on a move to Stamford Bridge, saying that he would be happy to stay at the Bernabeu if he felt wanted and was given regular first team football – which he wasn’t in his first spell.
He told Cuatro: “I’ve got nothing to prove. I’m not a Castilla [Real Madrid’s second team] player anymore. Madrid will decide if I am able or not. If not, I’ll have to take another decision. All I want is to be just another member of the squad and fight for a place in the side. My only intention is to be happy and be in a place where I feel wanted.
“I’m a Real Madrid player and that’s all I can say. I’d love to continue at Real Madrid, but I want to feel like I am important and battle to win a place.”
Morata currently sits joint top of the Euro 2016 goalscoring charts, but couldn’t make the difference on Monday evening as his Spain side slid out of the competition thanks to a 2-0 defeat to Italy.
For more from Chris when he’s not writing on 90min, follow him on Twitter at @ThatChris1209!